Tech Talk in HCMC this September was a great event. We gathered a group of 25 IT professionals in HCMC and had an awesome time discussing Vagrant.
Topic: Vagrant – Automate your dev environment in 1 command
Speaker: Khanh Tran, Leader of Advanced Technology Group from Glandore Systems
The presentation can be found here:
As a developer, I dreamed a dream:
- Automated As Much As Possible
- Quickly On-Board New Team Members
- As close to production environment as possible
- Share Across Your Team
- Share Environment Updates with Team
- Use Source Control to Track Changes
- 1Mb long INSTALL.txt :) – the hard way
- Deployment automation tools (Puppet, Maven, Graddle) – need a clean machine
- Virtual machine …each image ~ 8Gb
The solution: Vagrant
Create and configure lightweight, reproducible, and portable development environments.
After running the above two commands, you have a fully running virtual machine in VirtualBox running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit.
- Synced folders
- Multi-machine setup
- Real-time chat app with BalloonsIO
- Setting up a Vagrant LAMP
- Editing code
- Vagrant up to Amazon AWS
Tips & Tricks
- System memory – you need it ‘enough’
- Disk – you need a complete OS on virtual machine, be prepared to give at least 10 Gb per instance
- Speed – of course there’s some slowdown due to virtualization
- Move VMs folders to another disk use VirtualBox preferences
Vagrant is not
- a virtual machine
- a SDK
- a lightweight tool
Resources and references:
- Why Vagrant
- My Vagrant workflow
- Vagrant are you still develop in a non-virtual environment
- Vagrant AWS provider plugin
- Real-time chat BalloonsIO
- Vagrant LAMP Chef cookbook
- A list of Vagrant base boxes
- Vagrant usage patterns
Thank you everyone for coming to Tech Talk on Vagrant. It was a pleasure to have you there, and we look forward to seeing you again in future Tech Talks!
In case you missed this Tech Talk, no worries. We have another Tech Talk coming in October. Stay tuned for the details later!
Any comment? Leave them in the box below. We love to hear from you.
Til next Tech Talk : )
Latest posts by Phuong Bui (see all)
- Gót chân Achilles hay Treo 1 chiếc đèn lồng lên vấn đề của bạn – December 11, 2013
- Tính xấu nhất của developer là “Lười” – P/v Khang Nguyễn – Chief Representative của Cogini tại Việt Nam – December 7, 2013
- Hiểu lầm về Đam mê vs. Động lực – Đam mê có phải là điều kiện đủ cho Động lực? – December 4, 2013